OBSCENITY: “I Know It when I See It”
The academic journal Messages, Sages and Ages (http://www.msa.usv.ro/), based at the English Department, University of Suceava, Romania, invites contributions for an issue focusing on the theme of obscenity.
We envisage papers that follow suit to the growing literature on “obscenity & sexuality” (Nead, 1992, 2001), “speaking the unspeakable” (Michelson, 1993) and “art & obscenity” (Mey, 2007), not to mention “degradation” (Saunders, 2011). But obscenity dons many new faces. In order to understand more about them, we invite submissions which may explore, challenge, and expand on topics including, but not limited to:
– obscene language, linguistic taboos, and censorship of language;
– scatological humour;
– the O(A)bject of Art: aestheticizing the unaesthetic in contemporary arts;
– the porning of popular culture;
– the repugnant, distasteful, and disgusting in mass media;
– the obscene body: the open and permeable body;
– law and obscenity: prosecuting offensive behaviour;
– obscenity in translation/translating obscenity;
– obscene salaries, perks and benefits;
– political correctness versus hate speech and insulting language.
We welcome original papers in English and invite proposals (no more than 9,000 words) from senior as well as junior academics. Please send the manuscript, an abstract (cca. 200 words) with 5 keywords and a brief curriculum vitae as attachments to BOTH email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: 1 September, 2018.